We live in a world where we always fight to make healthier choices over the tastier ones. But that should never be the case. Healthy meal plans can be delicious as well. The most celebrated chefs across the world always advise people to make healthy choices without compromising with the taste. Here are some of the fantastic USDA school lunch recipes for your little angels without compromising with their health.
Normally with food for kids, the real challenge creeps in when you have to show your innovative skills while keeping their nutrition in mind. Planning out unique kids’ school lunches every day is quite tricky for the parents. In many cases, the kids do not like to consume healthy meal plans designed by their parents. In such cases, the parents need to formulate ways to develop healthy as well as tasty meals for their little ones. Read on to find the easiest school lunch recipes.
Quinoa Fried Rice Loaded with Vegetables
Quinoa is exceptionally nutritious and acts as a rich source of essential nutrients. As the children are growing fast, they require a constant supply of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. Quinoa is readily available and can be used as a healthy lunch ingredient for the kids.
You will need:
- Sesame oil: 1 tablespoon
- Large egg: 1
- Pieces of broccoli: ¼ cup
- Cauliflower rice: ¼ cup
- Mixed vegetables: ¼ cup
- Quinoa: 1 cup
- Soy sauce or Tamari: 1 tablespoon
- Salt, pepper, and sugar: To taste
Along with these, make sure to add some healthy fruits and nuts to the lunch as well. These help the child to change the taste and provides them energy.
- Heat a skillet and take one tablespoon of sesame oil.
- Add the beaten egg slowly and lightly scramble it up.
- Once it starts separating, make sure to remove it from the skillet and keep it aside.
- Add the vegetables and sauté them appropriately.
- Once you finish frying the vegetables, make sure to add the cauliflower rice and the broccoli pieces.
- Let all these vegetables fry a little till they become tender and soft.
- Finally, add the quinoa, scrambled egg, along with the soy sauce. Give these ingredients a thorough mix and add salt, pepper, and sugar according to taste.
- Let it cook on a medium flame and remove the skillet once after you have finished cooking.
Egg Salad Sandwich
Egg salad sandwich is a nutritious diet which is an excellent source of protein and good fats as well. This school lunch recipe is rich in antioxidants and also a tasty option for the little ones. Furthermore, along with this dish, make sure to provide them with a healthy drink and some fresh fruits.
- Hard-boiled eggs, diced: 2
- Onion minced: 1 tablespoon
- Celery: ½ stalk
- Avocado, peeled and mashed: ½
- Fresh cilantro, chopped: 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice: ½ portion
- Lime juice: ½ portion
- Salt and pepper: as per taste
- A pinch of garlic and onion powder
- Gluten-free bread: 4 slices
- Take a clean bowl and mix all the vegetables. Put chopped eggs, avocado, onions, lime and lemon juice, onion and garlic powder, lemon juice, celery, cilantro, salt, and pepper as per choices.
- Give the entire ingredients a thorough mix and keep it aside.
- Take the gluten-free bread and spread the mixture over one side of the same. Place the other bread on the top of the mixture and press the sides to seal it off. The nutritious and lip-smacking lunch is ready for your kids.
As funky the name sounds, this one is quite loved by all children. The parents love to prepare this lunch recipe as it is loaded with vitamins, carbohydrates, proteins, and healthy fats. This recipe is easy to make without compromising with the taste or the nutritional benefits.
- Tortillas: 2
- Spaghetti sauce: 3 tablespoons
- Cheese, shredded: 1 cup
- Preheat the oven to 400F and spray some olive oil on the tortillas.
- Bake the tortillas for 5 minutes to get the desired shape.
- Evenly spread the spaghetti sauce on the tortillas and top it with the shredded cheese.
- Bake it again for 5 to 7 minutes till the cheese starts to melt.
- Remove them from the oven, cool them, and wrap them in the form of sandwiches.
These school lunch recipes would provide you with an outline of how to mix and match different healthy ingredients. You can utilize these ideas to make tastier lunch options for your kids. However, make sure to include their personal preferences to motivate them to consume more healthy food nutrients. Also, try to reward them with their favorite snacks once a week as a token of appreciation. Motivation and rewards can always positively reinforce the children on the right path.