Nanny plays an important role in the growth and development of a child and hence you should screen the applicants properly before choosing the right candidate for your child from the nanny agencies. Here is a list of some of the important nanny interview questions that you may be interested in asking during the nanny hiring process.
Background Questions to Ask While Hiring a Nanny
- How did you come to know about this job?
- For how long are you doing this job?
- You are comfortable handling children of which age group?
- Are you trained in CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation)?
- For how long are you interested in working for us?
- Why are you interested in working for us?
- Have you worked as a nanny before or in a daycare center?
- Do you belong to a big family?
- To which place do you belong?
Job-Related Questions for Nannies
- Is your work schedule flexible? Can you work early or late hours sometimes if required?
- Can you do some extra work at times if needed, such as household chores, cooking or looking after pets?
- Are there any activities you are reluctant to do?
- How many children can you manage at a time? (Required to know for play dates or when relatives come over).
- Can you provide us with two work reference and one personal reference?
- Are you willing to work during the weekends, nights and holidays?
- Where do you stay and can you get to work every day on time even if the weather is bad?
- Do you have a driving license?
- Are you willing to stay with my child for a week or so if we are out of the town?
- What would you pack in a child’s luggage for a flight of a long duration?
- Would you make personal phone calls during working hours and take short naps while the child is asleep?
- At a stretch for how long can you work before taking a break?
- How would you like to communicate with your employer to discuss issues or day-to-day activities related to the child?
- Why did you leave your last job?
- What did you like and hate most in your previous job?
- Are you looking for a short-term or long-term job?
Personality Questions to Ask Nannies
- Why do you like the job of a nanny?
- What is the most challenging part of being a nanny?
- Do you have negative work experience and what have you learned from it?
- How important do you think is the role of a nanny in the development of a child?
- Do you have experience of handling unruly, disobedient children and uncontrollable crying babies?
- What do you like most about your job?
- Are you flexible and adjust to change easily or do you have to plan ahead?
- What are the essential traits a good nanny should have?
- Would you feel comfortable discussing unexpected issues with the parents of the child?
- Have you ever felt de-motivated while doing the job of a nanny?
- Do you have any problem looking after children of stay-at-home parents?
Personal Questions Parents Should Ask Nannies
- Do you follow any particular diet, such as kosher or vegetarian?
- Do you follow certain cultural or religious practices?
- Are you suffering from any allergy or disorder that can hamper your work?
- Are you going through a rough patch in your life related to you professionally or personally?
- What is your age?
- Can you work legally in the United States of America?
- Do you have enough energy to fulfill the job requirements effectively?
- Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense?
- Why have you chosen the job of a nanny?
- What is the difference of a nanny and a babysitter?
- How was your last experience as a nanny?
- Are you married? If not what are your future plans?
- Do you have your own children? How will you manage your work if they are sick at home?
- What are your hobbies?
- What TV shows do you like watching?
- How would your close friends describe your personality?
- Are you willing to travel with our family during the vacations?
- What books, TV shows, and music do you like?
- Do you smoke, drink or use drugs?
Discipline Questions for Nanny Interview
- What is your philosophy on disciplining a child?
- What factors do you need to consider for the proper upbringing of a child?
- Do you think spanking is a good method for disciplining?
- How would you discipline a child that throws up a tantrum in a mall?
- How would you discipline a child who lied to you?
- Are you willing to work on your employer’s principles of child discipline?
- How can you develop good habits and behavior in a child?
- How punctual are you? Rate yourself on a scale of 1-10.
- How many sick leaves have you taken the previous year?
Emergency Related Questions
- How would you deal with an emergency situation where a child accidentally locks himself up inside a car?
- How would you help a child from getting choked?
- Do you remain updated in first-aid training regularly?
- What would you do if a baby becomes unconscious after an accident?
Child Training Related Questions
- Keeping in mind the age of a child, what core developmental areas you would be focusing on and what activities would you engage the child in?
- How would you chalk out a day’s schedule?
- What activities do you prefer for children?
- What materials and equipment would you require?
- How do you potty train children?
- Do you have any training in childcare?
- Are you willing to take up childcare classes if required?
Meal Related Questions
- Do you have any knowledge about what food a child should take according to his age?
- Have you ever used a sterilizer and prepared a baby’s bottle?
- Have you ever introduced solid food to a baby?
- If ever required, would you help in cooking child meals?
Child-Age Related Questions
- How long should a newborn be allowed to cry?
- Can you help a 5-year old with her homework?
- What kind of indoor, outdoor and extra-curricular activities do you suggest according to the age of a child?
- What TV shows and how many hours of television are suitable for toddlers of 1-2 years of age?
- How would you encourage a 2-year old toddler to explore his surroundings?
- Would you like to work for us?
- What is your expected salary?
This sums up the important questions you can ask while hiring a nanny for your child.