Essential oils have now become immensely popular due to their immense physical, psychological and therapeutic benefits. These are liquid that are extracted from the stems, roots, barks, leaves and flowers of plants. Some essential oils have composition and aroma that proves very useful for babies. German Chamomile hydro-sol, frankincense essential oil, mandarin essential oil, sandalwood essential oil etc. are some of the safe essential oils for kids as they have sleep-inducing, antibacterial and disinfectant properties.
Which Essential Oils Are Safe for Babies?
There is a multitude of oils available in the market; however, not all are safe for babies. Some essential oils cause skin irritations, while others can cause breathing problems or even seizures. So, you need to very careful while selecting an essential oil for your baby.
Best essential oils for kids. Let’s tell you why you should use them.
This is one of the best oils you can use on the sensitive skin of your baby. Its detoxifying, calming, soporific antibacterial, antiseptic, and disinfectant properties make it a preferred choice amongst moms.
- Use this oil for treating skin disorders, stomach problems, obesity and asthma
- The rejuvenating aroma makes it a good air freshener four kid’s room.
Sandalwood Essential Oil
This oil is extracted from the Sandalwood trees and you can use it as a baby massage oil for its anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and disinfectant properties.
- Use this oil to drive away germs and harmful microbes and protect the delicate skin of your baby from insect bites.
- It promotes healthy digestion, nervous function, and circulation too.
German chamomile hydrosol
This popular essential oil for kids is replete with antiseptic properties and is used to treat skin irritations, muscle spasms, and stomach disorders.
- It relieves pain and promotes good sleep.
- Add a few drops of this oil in your baby’s bath every day to protect him from colic pain, chicken pox, and diaper rashes.
Mandarin Essential Oil
The essential oil prepared from citrus fruits such as mandarin oil has sedative, astringent, antispasmodic and nervous relaxant properties.
- Use this essential oil to massage your baby to protect his skin from fungal growth and infectious germs.
- It also helps to promote your kid’s digestive, circulatory cardiovascular, respiratory, and nervous system.
Frankincense Essential Oil
This oil is extracted from the Boswellia tree barks and exhibits excellent cell regeneration properties.
- Rub this oil into the delicate skin of your baby to protect it from undesirable rashes and to keep it replenished and moisturized.
- Due to its cell regeneration property, you can use it for skin healing in case of wounds, cuts and insect bites.
Cedar Wood Essential Oil
This oil comes from the Cedar wood trees and exhibits antiseptic, sedative insecticidal, antiseborrheic, and astringent properties.
- Massage this oil onto your baby’s skin to treat dermatitis and also in the case of wounds and cuts.
- It acts as a good insect repellant for its insecticidal properties.
- Its sedative properties promote good sleep.
Copaiba Essential Oil
This is another commonly used essential oil for babies as it promotes immune functioning and offers protection from infection.
- The astringent property of this oil helps to nourish your baby’s skin.
- It also helps to remove diaper rashes, blisters, and sores.
Never forget to check reviews of moms for use of essential oils. Since babies are a priced asset of every parent’s life, a doctor’s advice is a must before using essential oils. Though these oils offer great benefits,you should be aware of safety warning for some essential oils. Essential oils like clove, thyme, wintergreen tea tree, camphor, eucalyptus, and lavender oils can cause hallucinations, liver failure, and even brain swelling – so keep a cautious eye on warnings. Always go for branded products and never apply the concentrated oil directly on the sensitive skin of your baby.